The rare Charitable Research Reserve’s headquarters and first four locations comprise over 980 acres of conservation lands. Most of these lands are located within the Haldimand Tract. Spanning six miles on either side of the Grand River from source to mouth, the Haldimand Tract is land granted to the Six Nations of the Grand River in 1784 to recognize their support for the British in the American Revolution. With the most recent expansion to Guelph/Wellington, rare also stewards lands are at the border of the Upper Canada Treaty No. 3 from 1792 and Treaty 19 from 1818.
For all its properties, rare acknowledges and is grateful to the original stewards of the land. This land has been rich in diverse Indigenous presence since time immemorial. We would like to honour and respect the sovereignty of both First Nations in our area: the Onkwehon:we Peoples of Six Nations of the Grand River and the Anishinaabe Peoples of the Mississaugas of the Credit. Nia:wen and Miigwech (thank you) to these Nations who share their lands with us. We acknowledge the Neutral people and Indigenous Paleo-Hunters, for whom we have archeological evidence dating back 10,500 years. Today, these lands are also home to many other First Nations, Métis and Inuit people who have moved to the area from across Turtle Island.