Join our Team
There are many opportunities at rare to help foster your personal development while helping to steward the local environment. Click here to learn more about how you can help our conservation, research, education, fundraising, or administrative efforts, or contact us at rare at raresites.org or 519-650-9336 x126.
Internships and Seasonal Positions
Pending the securement of funding, rare typically offers four paid internship positions each year in the areas of monitoring, education, gardening, and land stewardship. An additional three to five summer students positions are generally hired in the areas of education, gardening, and land stewardship. Check back each spring to view our job postings.
Jobs at rare
Check back here often to view our latest openings for positions at rare.
As part of our commitment to racial justice, reconciliation and equity building, we welcome individuals from marginalized communities including Black people, Indigenous people, people of colour, LGBTQI2S+ and self-identifying women candidates to apply for this position. We encourage people with disabilities to apply. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We are dedicated to removing bias from our hiring process. For this reason, we have implemented an anonymous review component in our recruitment process. What does this mean? We will be removing your name, address and e-mail address from your application/resume prior to it being reviewed by the hiring manager, during the first stage of the recruitment process. If you are selected for an interview, this information will become available to the hiring manager only at that time.
New Opening: Education Assistant
ELIGIBILITYThis is a paid position, supported by Government of Canada funding. Requirements of funding state that the participant must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Delivering hands-on land-based nature activities to children aged 5 – 12
- Preparation and clean-up of daily activities and equipment maintenance
- Produce educational, instructional, and fun videos for rare’s YouTube Channel (see examples here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLesisN70Ygv5vImbQqi2DYZlEEhIja83)
- Guiding interpretive hikes and representing rare at community events
- Assisting with other rare events as required
- Attending regular team meetings to report on progress.
- Currently enrolled in or recently graduated from a program in education, environmental sciences, outdoor and recreational studies, or any related discipline
- Experience in developing and delivering environmental programs to children
- Experience with video filming and editing
- Proficient in Premiere Pro or DaVinci Resolve (or similar), experience with After Effects and/or other relevant editing software strongly preferred
- A current police check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screening*
- Able to participate in all-weather hikes over rough terrain
- Reliable transportation to/from work
- Fluency in other languages is considered to be a strong asset.
* Costs associated with the VSS Police Check will be covered by rare for the successful candidate.
SALARY: $17.20/hr, 35 hours a week
START DATE: January 2022
This position is open to co-op students seeking a Winter Term placement.
HOW TO APPLY
DEADLINE: Monday, December 13th, however resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Apply early! Applicants should send their resume, and cover letter as an attachment to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please compile your documents into one pdf file if possible. Any application materials provided within the body (text) of your email will not be considered. Cover letters for this position may be addressed to Jenna Quinn. Please include the name of the position for which you are applying in the email subject line.
No phone calls please. Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Candidates contacted for interview will be asked to provide the names, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers for two professional references.